KaramojAmanda

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Bandits

I just got an e-mail from my friend Chrissie, who's been in Karamoja for the last month. She's having a great time and picking up the language much faster than me! But she shared that Kris and Craig got shot at while driving up to the hospital in Metane (sp?) in Northern Karamoja...I assume by people who wanted to rob them, as that's how it usually happens. (A catholic priest who'd probably been in K'moja for 30 years was killed earlier this year - this is all non-LRA or get-rid-of-foreigners related violence.)K & C are coming back a different way, but please pray for them today if you think of it. So far everyone's been pretty safe, but there's always risks.

3 Comments:

  • theyve been prayed for... :)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 2:02 PM  

  • will hold them up in prayer, Matany is the spelling of the hospital.

    are you referring to Fr Mario Mantavani, Italian priest and linguist who served in Karamoja for 50 years - killed by someone he had taught to drive and later baptised? He was a good friend of mine. Was killed last year, or is there another one that I don't know about?

    I'm out of country just now, up in Belgium. any news from Karamoja if they\ve been affected by the earthquake?

    have enjoyed reading your notes of home.
    Nakaala = aka Dr Jean

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 AM  

  • thank you! I think they got back okay, but I haven't heard anything else in a few days, so I'm not sure if they were affected by the quake.

    Fr Mario Mantavani is the one - thanks for adding about what happened, as you knew him well. I love Karamoja, from the little time I've spent there, but sometimes I (sinfully) wish more people would just hurry up and change. The gospel is a very effective but slow worker sometimes...

    I just missed meeting you a couple of times, but have heard lots about the Wrights' good friend Dr Jean!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home