KaramojAmanda

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Perceptions

I just read this interesting blog post about Ugandan converts to Judaism, among other things. (Lots of cool pics there, too, including a totally Ugandan-style synagogue.) But the whole tone of the article, this woman's thoughts (as a Jew) about their conversion, are what's really interesting. Basically, they don't have a bond in their mutual religion, and the fact the "Abayudaya" were trying to please the mzungu guests troubled her.

Not so much like my experience in Karamoja. Yes, often people come to church only so they can ask the mzungu, "You give me 5,000 shillings." On that count, though, they're not so different from Americans; why do you want more? because you just want it, so you should have it! However, it's hard to see people that I think genuinely are Christians still want loans they won't pay back (even though they could), and leave when the mission says enough. It's really hard to know what to do, when so many people could use money for good things, and yet it's not your job to be a bank who never collects! The diaconal ministry wants to help those genuinely in need (e.g., they need food, not a second pair of shoes). Also, Pastor Al is encouraging the church members to directly help their neighbors, which many of them are well able to do.

Okay, back to what I meant to say. In Karamoja I realized for probably the first time that God truly is everywhere, calling people from every tribe and language and nation to freedom in Christ; no longer slaves to sin, but sons and daughters of the living God. So when you're singing next to someone (and trying to clap to their rhythm), and you don't know what all the words mean and can't even say all of them, there's not a disconnect. You know that person is real, you don't think of them as natives of ethnological interest if nothing else.

1 Comments:

  • I remember having that true realization for the first time in Kosovo. I was standing between two native Albanians in prayer and worship and we both were speaking and singing in our native tongue and I was like, "Whoa, God is hearing all this jibberish and he understands it all." And THEN I realized, "WHOA! God is talking jibberish BACK to every single heart in here and WE all understand it." And when I was praying with my Albanian brothers and sisters, I had to smile because what else in this world besides Christ could hold us together in such a tight bond when there were so many gaps that should separate us?

    By Blogger Andrea, at 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home