KaramojAmanda

Friday, September 29, 2006

Safe from theft (sort of)

Karamoja is notorious for theiving, and not just of the cattle raiding sort. But one day I ran something over to the clinic for Martha, and had a nice chat there with Abra Joseph and Fiona about how in Karamoja you're safe from purse-snatchers, unlike in the cities, such as Mbale. People here only take stuff when you're not looking, but they won't cut your bag from your shoulder and run. I find that somehow consoling.

On this same visit, Elizabeth let me look through her microscope, which was fun. Not quite as exciting as looking at my own malaria smear, but anything under the microscope takes on an interesting quality.

Abra has twin daughters, Judith and Denise (named after Judy and Denise from Billings). Their little sister Mercy isn't nearly so shy...

2 Comments:

  • You find THAT consoling?!? Amanda, Amanda.....that's when you KNOW it's God that gave you your love for Karamoja. That's just not normal... *wink*

    By Blogger Andrea, at 7:13 AM  

  • Yeah - or "erai kire." I suppose you're right. But I'm glad God's blessed me with so many opportunities to go there, because in spite of all the bad things that go on there, it's truly one of my favorite places. :)

    By Blogger Amanda, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home