KaramojAmanda

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Always Come for Fresh Meat

April 26, 2006

This morning I went to Namalu in the Land Rover ambulence, driven by Luka. Rachel, Kyalo, Anna, Josephine, Fiona, (the latter three are all Karamojong) and others from the clinic also came. Rach helped me pick out tomatoes, bananas, onions, what, what. Our bags quickly grew very heavy. I also got beads and a blanket, which are now 8000 shillings each; several vendors told me that they are costing 7500 from Mbale, so they're not making much profit! The market was very busy, partly because a lorry, parked by the side of the road, had two men in it. They had been shot on their way just that morning. There was a huge crowd around them.

On the drive, Rachel talked to Luka in a mix of Karamojong, English, and Arabic - she had just discovered he knew some Arabic, and so did she - and all the women in the back talked loudly and hilariously in Karamojong. It made me wish I knew more than a small smattering of the language, but sometimes I could laugh with them anyway because it was so funny that i felt like I understood the joke!

The meat stand in the picture is in Nakapiripirit - the one in Namalu is much bigger and better stocked, but not so attractively painted. And their marketing in Namalu is not so good. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home