KaramojAmanda

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Books, Bob, and Martha

Last week my sister and I went to a book discussion of Peace Like a River (a very good book, by the way). It's partly thanks to Martha that we were reading it. Judy (from Billings) went to Karamoja about four years ago and when her mom sent her Peace Like a River back in the states, she got a copy to Martha. Then I went and visited, and saw it on the bookshelf. Since Martha said it was a good book, I read it when I got back last year. And I told my friend Melodee about it, who passed it on to her sister-in-law, who told our pastor's wife about it. And she told everyone else; hence the book group....

That wasn't the only book Bob and Martha (and Rachel) got me hooked on, though. I've since bought Roald Dahl books (Boy was 2,000 shillings - about $1 - in a Kampala bookstore!), Nigel Barley (I finished The Innocent Anthropologist on the Tube in London in 2004), a Seamus Heaney collection, and more.

And now I'm reading Emma's War, recommended by Kris. Also Stalking the Wild Dik-Dik, which is made all the more enjoyable because I read the author's blog before she published her book. "One Woman's Solo Misadventure's Across Africa" is just too interesting to pass up! I'm not as brave as Marie, though - travling by myself is somehow stressful, although the Africa part was the easiest. (Of course, I've always been met at the airport....)

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the mention, Amanda! Incidentally, I read Emma's War and enjoyed it a lot. The protagonist--well, I'm not real sure about her and I don't know if the author is either. But the author was really thorough, wonderfully non-judgmental, and I really enjoyed her engaging prose.

    By Blogger Marie Javins, at 5:55 AM  

  • I'm enjoying Emma's War so far, too - the author makes it a fascinating story, and I'm glad to be getting some of the history of Sudan. It kind of helps understand the conflict there now a little better.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 9:29 AM  

  • Thank you for the lovely review on Amazon. I am really chuffed. Did you finish Emma's War?

    By Blogger Marie Javins, at 4:03 AM  

  • I'm still working on it...actually, I took a break for StWDD and have been watching too many movies/baseball games lately to get much read, but today I go back to it. Emma is about to go back to Africa...

    By Blogger Amanda, at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home