KaramojAmanda

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ejok nooi

After weeks of having nothing to say, now I'm thinking of too many things. So expect all the updates at once. Still haven't heard from Martha or Kris, but I haven't emailed them much lately. So maybe there will be real, genuine 'moja news soon. (Although Katie keeps me pretty well up on what's happening!)

The other day I fulfilled a childhood dream of watching TV in my room...or rather, watching a movie on the laptop in bed. It was practically a holiday still, so that's my excuse. Watching movies on laptops will probably always remind me of Uganda: watching movies with the Wrights on Bob's laptop, watching movies with Nolan and Amy. I guess the Ts really have a TV. So does Segal, who's the head nurse and Chippa's daddy. Or maybe it wasn't a TV, just a projector, but he did have a VCR/DVD player and some nights the side porch would be crowded with movie watchers, watching Nigerian films or other stuff, like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. There's nothing quite like hearing "Bless Yore Beautiful Hide" out your screen window and the laughter of a group of Karamojong thoroughly getting a kick out of a movie like that! :) I guess you don't have to have a great grasp of English to get the storyline.

I'm really enjoying my Bono book; there's a lot to process there. He's involved w/ an organization called DATA - Debt, Aids, Trade, and Africa. Anyway, one of the things I like is how Bono is hopeful without being overly optimistic. Yes, there's a lot of problems, but there IS hope for Africa. Sadly, the continent has slipped downhill in this decade. Bono doesn't really address the whole issue of very corrupt governments. But it does make me think; what would happen if more people started acting like neighbors to Africa? Could "stupid poverty," like child deaths for lack of cheap immunizations, etc, be more or less ended in our lifetime? That's something that I don't think Christians should be too skeptical of, because our God is a big, worlwide God and we should be concerned about people of every tongue, tribe, and nation. It's just trying to figure out how... In the meantime, keep praying and buying free trade coffee!

1 Comments:

  • All of this was so fascinating to read!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home