KaramojAmanda

Monday, September 19, 2005

What's a celebration without dancing?

After the last finger had been licked and last sip of Sun-Sip (juice) drunk, the singing started. Margaret, Josephine, Joyce, most of the older schoolboys, and many others did a very nice presentation in honor of Dave and Sunshine, who were heading back to the States for a year. (The goat roast was really for them.) Poor Margaret was shaking from stage fright, but she led the singing beautifully. They sang a lot of songs in English and some in Karamojong. But then the real excitement started...

The party started to break up right as the rain started; there was a mad dash for the side porch and to get the benches covered and tables in. On the porch someone started to sing, of course, and there was some sort of Karamojong mosh pit action going on, mostly with women from the compound and clinic.


(Quote from my journal, because I like block quotes. ;) )

The rain let up and most of us moved off the porch into the side yard, which was part brick and part mud. The real singing and dancing (or jumping to the most amazing heights) begin. My favorite dance was one Martha thinks is based on the traditional dances: one guy in the middle calling something out and doing a little arm flap thing like a chicken, with the circle of dancers around him "asking" the chorus...I don't know what else to call it, just picture holding up their hands and singing as if they're asking something passionately...and then half-marching, half-dancing around the circle. Usually the song would be about raiding, etc. This was about different things that we're tempted by - I think the chorus was demanding "why" of Satan and ultimately telling him off.

Truly, white men (or girls) can't jump compared to the Karamojong! But it was fun trying. Josephine laughed when she told me afterwards that the mzungus had been very entertaining!

Anyway, words fall completely short of describing this scene, and it was such a whirl that I can't even remember it very clearly myself, but it was definitely one of the coolest celebrations I've ever been a part of - I wish so much you could have seen it!

2 Comments:

  • This is your best post yet, dearie. I love checking KA in the morning to find that you've posted. It makes my morning!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 6:15 AM  

  • what a great post, I felt like I was almost there, and it really made me want to go...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home