KaramojAmanda

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Anatomy of a Goat Roast

One of my very favorite things I did in Karamoja was attend a goat roast. We started in the morning chopping onions (I got to help with that, much to my eyes' dismay) and cabbage - Joyce was the supreme boss of the kitchen. The men slaughtered five goats in the back yard, which Rachel took pictures of for me, and then roasted them on a grate over a fire pit. When it was all ready several hours later, the missionaries dished up the food to a long line of Karamojong friends, most of whom were very eager for the juicy innards stew I was serving. I wasn't too bummed out that it was completely gone before my turn came to go through the line...

The goat had a nice tangy flavor, but was so stringy and chewy that it was hard to get much meat off. But the cabbage and rice was good, and rather fun to scoop up with your fingers. (There are no forks at goat roasts!) There were also a packet of "biscuits" apiece for dessert.

The highlight of the party came after the meal, but I'll post about that later...


Butchering a goat


Roasting the goat. (Kris's picture.)


It's a feast! (Kris's again...)

2 Comments:

  • Ive had barbequed goat before and though stringy (like you said) it was quite good

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:36 PM  

  • cool. I'd like to try it again sometime...

    By Blogger Amanda, at 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home