KaramojAmanda

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Warriors


Young warriors (someone else took this picture - John S?)

This was last year, before the disarmament - lots less AKs this year. Mary can do a great imitation of the way the warriors walk...a sort of springy step that looks as they have purpose and are incredibly cool. I occasionally ran into small groups of these young men, which was always a little intimidating. I think they'd be nice enough on an individual basis, but together they just had an air of reveling in their power, although not threatening me by any means. Or at least that was my impression. Kind of like any inner-city gang kids here, I guess. Anyway, a big incentive for cattle raiding in K'moja is getting some cows to pay for your wife (who you've probably already taken, but not officially paid for).

2 Comments:

  • I like thier jewelry - is it particular to the warriors or does everyone wear it... what distinguishes warriors from every day people (besides the way they walk?)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:10 PM  

  • a lot of people do wear jewelry - men and women. But it doesn't seem to really be a status symbol anymore. Usually old women are the ones with the most necklaces - more than these guys are wearing. Rose's little boy (he's about 4)has a bracelet on each wrist and ankle, and an ear pierced, but that wasn't too common...

    hmm, not exactly sure about what makes a warrior. But they go around armed a lot of the time, and I never saw them "working." They'd probably be the ones that go raiding more than any other men. other than that, I'm not sure...guess I should ask!

    ok, that was *going* to be a short answer. ;)

    By Blogger Amanda, at 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home