KaramojAmanda

Monday, August 29, 2005

Scary Arachnids...

Karamoja is naturally a great place for wildlife...especially for bugs. I don't really count spiders as bugs, but they seem to thrive as well as butterflies and grasshoppers and mosquitos there. One of my scariest experiences last year was one night when I came in from dinner, and there was a HUGE spider right by my door. No way I could avoid this thing; it was placed just right so I couldn't get in my room without danger. My imagination probably enlarged the size, but a moderate guess it was two inches across. (I do think that's smaller than it was - I've never seen a spider so big!) I just kind of stood and stared at it in horror for a minute, debating whether to go ask Dave Okken to come kill it for me. But I couldn't bring myself to ask for help. (If only it were a snake!)

Of course, I couldn't possibly squish this monster, though - the thought of it crunching under a napkin still makes me shudder. I thought about it for a while, and decided maybe I could smash it with something heavy...like a can of fruit from the pantry shelf. That should work. Except it didn't; the can was too round, and the spider slipped under it. I about had a heart attack when it moved...

So maybe I could stab it. I got a fork from the kitchen, and got pretty close to poking the spider with it, but the thought of spitting that thing was too awful. What if I missed? Or what if it somehow wriggled off. (I was shaky by this time.) During this whole episode there were a crowd of people watching a movie on the porch, just across the room (Segal, the head nurse, owned a projector and VHS player), and if they weren't too involved in the film, I probably was putting on a pretty good show.

After what seemed like about 10 minutes, though, I pulled myself together and figured out what to do. I took off my flipflops - one to smack the spider with, and the other off so I wouldn't trip if I had to make a quick getaway - and hit that bugger as hard as I could. My shoe made a huge *smack* as it hit the door frame. In fact, I hit that spider so hard that there was literally nothing left of it. The bottom of my flipflop barely had any guts on it. After that my only fear was that some of the spider might have landed on me. *shiver*

And if you think that's melodramatic, then be glad you weren't there. It was worse in real life!

After that, a baby scorpion in my room seemed pretty tame. ;-)

2 Comments:

  • I dont think I could handle things like that - I hate creepy crawly things

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:09 PM  

  • well, bugs were one of the harder things for me to deal with, that's for sure. I don't like them crawling over me at night (which only happened occasionally!), even if they're perfectly harmless. And spiders, frankly, terrify me. :)

    By Blogger Amanda, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home