KaramojAmanda

Thursday, September 15, 2005

"Kire Ejok Akuj"

This is one of my favorite songs we sang in Karamoja, even though we sang it all the time. It was pretty much the easiest to learn as well as understand, therefore the only K'jong song I can say I have almost memorized. ;) Of course it isn't the same just reading it, because you don't get the tune or the clapping that accompanies it, but you might still appreciate the words. The title means "Truly, God is Good."

Kire ejok Akuj
Kire ejok Akuj
nooi nooi ejok Akuj
Kinakini akiyar (3x)
nooi nooi ejok Akuj
Kinakini amina (3x)
nooi nooi ejok Akuj
A-lle-luia a-lle-luia amen
Yesu
Kristo
ejok akuj

The title sounds to me like "Kir-ay-jok Akuj" - either I can't hear all the vowels or they just run them together when two words next to each other end and start with a vowel. I don't remember what "kinakini" means (it sounds like "Key-nak-a-nya" so maybe the "i" at the end is a misspelling?), but "amina" is love. The other verses are all good things too. "Nooi" is said like "noy," but with kind of a drawn out "oy" at the end.

Anyway, practically everywhere you went - to the village, Sunday school, even making dinner sometimes, this song came up. After about the 100th time in a month I can see why someone would get tired of it...lol, maybe I just like it because it's one of the songs I can clap to somehow okay. My rythym is pretty poor!

So there's just a taste of Karamojong, and maybe a taste of heaven, with people from every nation praising God... and now you're prepared if you ever go to Karamoja. :)

1 Comments:

  • thats awesome... I like the part about it being a taste of heaven... made me smile

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home