KaramojAmanda

Saturday, November 10, 2007

C is for Chipa

Craig and Kris came over the other night, and somehow the subject of movies came up. I was laughing over what used to be popular on the back-porch theater (one of the old clinic officers had a projector and showed movies quite often) - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I will never, ever forget hearing "Bless Your Beautiful Hide" from the porch one night, accompanied by much laughter from the audience. Kris told me that was Chipa's favorite movie. It was one of my favorites, too, when I was her age....

I didn't see Chipa last year, because her family had moved, but she's central to many memories from my first two visits to Karamoja. In 2004, she must have been about six, and one of her favorite games was to sit outside the screened window and call "Amanda! Ejoka?" To which I would replay "ejoknooi." And then she would giggle and start all over. I learned my greetings very well that way, though!

Chipa's mother, Joyce (also known as Mamachippa) became my friend in 2005, when she took off one of her bronze bracelets and put it on my arm. She was drunk at the time (in the early afternoon), but I decided to take her seriously and reciprocrated with a gift of sugar and a visit the next day, which was one of the nicest visits I've had. Anyway, she joined us temporarily for singing at Bible study at her neighbor's house - and she sang very loudly, much to the children's amusement - but then grew agitated and whispered anxiously that she should leave. Amy and the others were doing a good job teaching her children, she said, and thanked us. All I could think is, "They want you."

When I got back, the kids were hanging around as usual. I gave all Mamachipa's big hugs; and looking Chipa in the eyes, felt she knew exactly why. She's silly like any little girl, and she's very stubborn, like her mama. She's also far older in knowledge than any little girl should be, yet I hope she's hanging in there and hasn't lost hope. Chipa, I pray many good things are yet to come for you.

2 Comments:

  • She must be the one on our left?

    Amanda, you remind me of the saying, "My treasures are my friends."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 PM  

  • Yes, she's the one on the left. (That's her little brother on the right.) I think I have a close-up picture somewhere - I just got the internet hooked up at home, so hopefully I can post it soon.

    I like that quote.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home