KaramojAmanda

Saturday, July 01, 2006

In the village

May 13th

Yesterday we went to Kopetatum for Bible study, a whole truckload of us. It looked like a real African vehicle with 7-8 of us riding in the back. It was a fun ride although we got somehow besplatter with mud. I was even picking it out of my hair, and some of the kids tried to brush it off for me, giggling at the ecoto. There were more adults than usual, and a lot of teenage girls hanging around for the kids' story. There was a jerry can drum for the songs, so it was an enjoyable time. I'm discovering I like the dirty, smoky village smell quite a lot, so long as the ngagwe [beer]/defecation element isn't too strong.a


My favorite village picture!

(These pictures are from Loumo Peter's, not Kopetatum. But they somehow fit.)

Sunday, May 14th
This morning Emily woke me up at 6:40 so I could go to the early worship at Kopetatum with her. Rachel came along, too. We all rode in the back of the truck just for the fun of it. The morning was chilly already, but with the wind blowing against us on the road, I was COLD. We had to dodge a thorn tree when the back end fishtailed in a big mud puddle; all of us ended up thrown down on the truck bed.

The excitement didn't end there, because as Pastor was "aki-mobilizing," a woman started screaming and then we saw a small deer being chased toward the village. It veered off back the way it came, but a bunch of men and herd boys ran after it, armed with nothing more than a big stick. They were running fast but I suspect the deer got away.

Perhaps ten adults and a few more kids came for prayers. We sat on the ground; a few people crowded onto the small dead tree (hardly a log) that was handy. Al's sermon was on Simon the Sorcerer (in the book of Acts) and what the power of God truly is - to change hearts and lives.

Here's a not-G-rated picture from Loumo Peter's, but classic K'jong "toto" (mother), and the look on this woman's face gets to me very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home