KaramojAmanda

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Museveni and meningitis

Uganda's elections are coming up soon, sometime next month - I was Googling it but got distracted. I've actually been praying quite a bit about this (well, quite a bit for me, which doesn't mean I think of it every day)...having just seen a movie about Rwanda in 1994, it's a little scary to think what could happen. Only I really don't believe anything too catastrophic will happen, even if Museveni loses.

Here's some stats I found from the last election, five years ago:
President: 12 march 2001
------------------------------------------------------
Yoweri Kaguta Museveni - National Resistance Movement 69.3%
Kizza Besigye 27.8%

(Thanks to electionworld for the info)

That's not too close, is it? But we'll see about this year.

In Karamoja news, thinks aren't sounding good with this meningitis epidemic that's going around. The main hospital around Nakaale, Tekora, has apparently screwed up worse than usual, and not been reporting the cases or taking care of them in a very timely manner. Katie just posted this today:
So far there have been 145 cases, but thankfully only 11 deaths. Josephine (one of our pharmacists) daughter is slowly recovering from it, but her nephew (and joyces nephew too) is still in the hospital in a coma. Joyce is having a rough time........ she is fearing for her nephew's life and fearing that her children will get this disease.

Josephine's daughter Munyes is such a tiny little girl anyway - she was sick a lot as a baby - I can't imagine how hard this must be on them.

In better news, my friend Chrissie is getting ready to return to Karamoja for a year. I'm quite excited for her.

2 Comments:

  • thats tough, ill keep them in my prayers

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:11 PM  

  • thanks, Addie. it amazes me how God hears the prayers of us for them in Karamoja (and vice versa)...

    By Blogger Amanda, at 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home