KaramojAmanda

Friday, May 20, 2005

Sandals and Malaria

Update from Amanda:

Today Amos, the translator, sold me a pair of Karamojong sandals made out of cowhide. They're very boss, as Bob and Martha would say! The sandals are cut of a very thin piece of leather, with leather straps (like flip flops, except a strap also goes around your heel). Amos says this is what they used to wear before the heavy-duty ones made from tires were introduced. Now only the men wear these sometimes, apparently, but I figured it won't matter since I'm a "mazungu"...

Bob laughed today when he found out I had malaria. :) Last year I got it after eight days, so this time I think I'm doing pretty well to have "held out" so long. It's not so bad. I'm tired and feel somehow sick to my stomach, but that's it. Today I'm not wearing a sweatshirt, so that's a good sign!

Tuesday night, Bob was gone and so I had a sleepover at the Wrights' house. We were all feeling a little tired, but of course Rachel and I stayed up talking for a while so it was a successful slumber party. I can't really think of what else has been happening: just little things, I guess. Yesterday I spent the morning at the Wrights (doing a little bit of nothing), then visited the family of Segal David (the head nurse at the clinic) for a little while, then went to Martha's writing class with the older girls, then hung out at the Wrights' some more. We had beef from the Namalu market for dinner - it tasted SO good! I just didn't think what it must have looked like at the butcher's. The new group of visitors arrived last night, so we got to visit with them. They brought a ton of great stuff for the missionaries here. Oh, and it was Amy's birthday, so we had cake and she got to open some birthday packages.

OK, time to go teach a class on To Kill a Mockingbird... sorry this is not more exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home