KaramojAmanda

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Books

The Wrights (Bob, Martha, and Rachel anyway) introduced me to many great books. I'm not usually very shy when it comes to books, and quickly felt comfortable enough to sit in their living room reading anything from Artemis Fowl to Seamus Heaney. Some of my best memories, though, are of me and various Wrights hanging out reading National Geographic, which they had almost a whole shelf of.

Here are just a few books I read in K'moja or as a result of being there.

Kids books (enjoyable for adults, too):
  • Artemis Fowl and Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident. I've read two more in the series since then.
  • The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, by Terry Pratchett
  • Boy and Going Solo, funny and interesting autobiographical stories by Roald Dahl.

    Other:
  • The Innocent Anthropologist by Nigel Barley, bought at Aristoc's in Kampala and finished on the Tube in London. One of the funniest books I've ever read. (Not a Hazardous Sport by Barley is also quite good.)

    There were others, but those are the main ones.

    And now I'm finally getting around to "It's a Jungle Out There!", which I bought a couple years ago. It's the often-hilarious adventures of life as a missionary kid in the jungles of Peru, living a lot like the Indian kids. I admire people who live in the jungle, because I have a great aversion to bugs crawling on me. Most of the nights when I couldn't sleep in Uganda were due to bugs crawling on me - or at least thinking they were. One ant crawling on my leg for 30 seconds would multiply to about 10 for the next half hour, at least in the signals my brain was getting. I don't think it was ever really that bad.

    Chrissie also got me into some new books, like The Shakespeare Stealer series, when I was there last summer.

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home