KaramojAmanda

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Butterflies


It's finally spring here, and reminding me somehow of Karamoja. Yesterday the sun was shining, but there were mud muddles everywhere, which as I was looking out my office window I saw attracted one lone white butterfly.

In Uganda during the rainy season, driving down a dirt road sometimes you can see dozens of little yellow butterflies gathered around a mud puddle, sipping up that, uh, sweet nectar. It's very pretty, though, when the vehicle goes by and they all fly off. Someone mentioned once that it would make a good ad for one of the cell phone companies there (whichever one uses yellow in their ads -- I don't remember now).

There are more dignified butterflies, too. Black ones with white spots in Kampala, and brilliant multi-colored ones like this in the Wrights' backyard in Karamoja.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home