KaramojAmanda

Thursday, June 01, 2006

On Sunday...

The day before, actually, Martha said "Hey, it's your last day. How would you like to be the Sunday School teacher?" Of course I said sure, but was a little anxious to go over the story first - the parable of the rich man who built bigger barns to store all his wealth, yet his life was demanded of him that very night (Luke 12:13-21). I'd heard it several times already that week...but all in Karamojong, because Amy and Martha could get by reading and discussing it in Karamojong. It was helpful to talk it over with Amy, though, because she had some good advice. For one thing, make it clear that it's okay to store up grain (many Karamojong don't, leaving nothing for reserve); the problem lay in the heart of the "rich fool" in the story, who wasn't trusting the one who gave him all these good things. Also, I'd need to explain what wheat was (in the picture book I used) - there's no grain like that around Nakaale!

Lomo (Lomo Paul?) was my translator; his English is somehow okay, good enough to translate for the kids as long as you're careful how you say things. Lomo is one of my favorite people. He always greets me with a hard handshake, and he loves to color with the kids after Sunday School. He's also one of the few men who faithfully takes an interest in the church. So I like having him translate, even if it's sometimes hard work for both of us.


Happy kid

Rachel W knows enough Karamojong now to lead the kids in learning a Bible verse (that part's tough when you don't read Karamojong very proficiently...like Lomo and I both), which was very helpful. These kids catch on super quick. Then they spent the last 10 minutes or so coloring. It's fun to watch them, some of them older girls, some of them shepherd boys who wear no clothes, all happily coloring their pictures, often being careful to stay in the lines and using matching colors.

At the end, Martha always passes out Flinstones vitamins, but calls them "tum-tums" (candy), which all the girls and most of the boys like. I saw some of the shepherd boys eying theirs with suspicion, though, and making faces when they got brave enough to try the vitamins!

***

I have some videos I'd like to post...could anyone help me out by recommending a program to use? I found a free flikr-like service called youtube.com that looks like it will work, but please let me know if you know of something better!

2 Comments:

  • Amanda,
    I was googling for Kara moja for Christ and your blog came up... judging by the date, you are currently working with the Karamojong people. What part of Uganda? My husband, 7 month old daughter, and I will be arriving in Northeastern Uganda soon to live among the Karamojong, using chronological Bible storying to mobilize the baby baby new church in the mountain (Tepez sub-tribe). If you want, i would love to hear from you at christyb@putnamcityschools.org as soon as you get a chance. We will be there in a week! :) I was super excited to hear someone else doing similar work among "our" people.
    Blessings,
    Christy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 AM  

  • I'm excited to hear about other people going to Karamoja! Thanks for commenting. I just sent you an email...

    By Blogger Amanda, at 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home