KaramojAmanda

Monday, March 20, 2006

Eritrea & so on...

The Wrights lived in Eritrea for a while, maybe 6-7 years ago. Martha wrote her dissertation there, something about language acquisition and Tagrinyan (the main language)? Anyway, Eritrea has been on my African Countries I Know Something About list for a couple years, but this evening it struck me how little I do know about it. I know it very recently won its independence from Ethiopia, but there are border disputes. And I learned from Martha that the capital is Asmara. (The other thing that usually comes to mind is one of Bob or Martha's stories about how they heard screams from cerebral malaria patients in the mission hospital across the street...not a nice way to go if the disease isn't treated in time, and it strikes fast.)

The BBC has a brief profile of Eritrea if you're interested. This is what set of the whole subject for me: BBC Africa's In Pictures about this girl is training to be a runner for Eritrea. I wish her the best of success (as Eric Liddell says in Chariots of Fire)!

My email inbox is pretty full of mail from Karamoja right now (finally! :) ). Sounds like most everybody is getting malaria, but thankfully Bobby Wright seems to be getting it much less often than he used to. The meningitis quarantine ended, too, so Bible studies in the village can start up again. Everyone's pretty excited about that.

Martha sent me a list of stuff to do when I'm there, including help with Mary & Kipsy's school (which I'd been hoping for!), and also some clerical work: "We have a huge pile of info. gathered over the years by the Catholic church's K'jong Cultural Center which they've lent to us so we can scan it...This information would be very helpful to us in learning about the culture. We also need help indexing Scripture references from some K'jong books. If you have some thoughts about how to set up a library database & begin inputting data, that would be a huge help too." She said it would be tedious, but it sounds like a job I'd like, and hopefully I'll learn something at the same time... I don't have thoughts about how to set up a library database, though. Any suggestions?

PS - Blogger's spell check isn't very multicultural. It wanted to change "Africa's" to "appraises."

2 Comments:

  • I have never used this, but maybe it would be helpful?

    http://baseportal.com/

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:37 PM  

  • thanks, Addie. they don't have internet service so that wouldn't work, but maybe we can figure out something like it...

    By Blogger Amanda, at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home