KaramojAmanda

Monday, August 01, 2005

Not to early to start planning...

A friend who's interested in going to Karamoja next summer came over yesterday; we spent most of the afternoon looking at pictures and talking about Uganda. It was nice going to K'moja by myself before, but I think it would be even better to be going along with someone! :) So we'll see how it turns out. (I think I'd be happy saving money and vacation time all year just to "vacation" in Karamoja every summer.) Anyway, that visit has gotten me all excited about K'moja - although I suppose I didn't need much encouragement.

I rented a documentary called "ABC Africa" about AIDS orphans in Uganda - haven't watched all of it yet, but what I saw was pretty good. There was a woman leading a group in singing who sounded a lot like Josephine. People in other parts of Uganda, of course, are a lot like people anywhere else. The little kids were completely fascinated by the camera and showed off just like kids in Billings would.

There's nothing wrong with being totally interested in anything having to do with Africa, particularly Uganda and even more especially Karamoja, but I'm realizing it's pretty easy to obsess over Africa just because I love it and miss it...I mean, learning African geography (pretty high on my list right now) is great, but that's more about me than about caring for the people that live there. I know I can't send all the food I waste over to the AIDS orphans, but I believe in a God who cares about their lives, and so I can pray for them and write letters to my friends in Karamoja and talk to people here about what it's like there, too.

But I still have plans to watch every decent movie about Africa I can find...

2 Comments:

  • One thing that I always notice about Paul's letters is that he almost always talks about how he longs to return to them so that they may be mutually encouraged and benefitted. You're right. There is nothing wrong with being "obsessed" with K'moja and the people there. There is also nothing wrong with wanting to return. You go girl.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 6:21 AM  

  • thanks!

    I always am a little surprised by Paul and how much he loved the church, but I really want to be more like him...

    By Blogger Amanda, at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home